The other day on the news there were two stories about babies being either abandoned or abused. These were stories of helpless infants whose mothers did not want them. A baby, only hours old, was wrapped in blankets and left on the front door of a home in the almost freezing cold. Another 3 month old baby was burned on the hands, feet and bottom by a curling iron, by her mother. These two stories made me sick. This particular morning was a morning that I drove away from my house to a screaming three-year-old, “mommy don’t leave me”. It was heart-wrenching. I, in no way, wanted to leave my babies yesterday to go to work. Every day I go to work, I am so thankful for being able to leave my girls with Daddy.
I could not shake the emotion while driving to work and even after arriving at work. I was boldly reminded of the severe injustice in this world. My prayer was that the love of the Father would wash over those babies through childhood and into adulthood. They will have major challenges to overcome, with abandonment issues being #1. How incredibly devastating!
I could not shake the emotion while driving to work and even after arriving at work. I was boldly reminded of the severe injustice in this world. My prayer was that the love of the Father would wash over those babies through childhood and into adulthood. They will have major challenges to overcome, with abandonment issues being #1. How incredibly devastating!
Thoughts began to run through my mind about tragedy and the sovereignty of God. My God is a Big Picture God. He sees the most intricate details and puts them together into a big picture that only He can see. He is a God of salvation and of redemption. There are differences between salvation and redemption. Salvation is instant. The moment an individual asks Christ into their heart, He’s there. Then the child of God spends a lifetime in the process of sanctification.
But what about redemption? Is this the big picture of the Kingdom of God being sanctified? Is redemption a process? It seems that God was constantly redeeming the Israelites in the Old Testament. It seems I need redemption each and every day. Is redemption the whole picture? Is it the whole story? Will those who were victims of sin and injustice be redeemed?
I don’t know.
I don’t know why these two babies were abused and abandoned.
I don’t know why millions of children around the world suffer such harsh conditions each and every day.
I don’t know why there is suffering in this world.
I do know that we live in a sinful and depraved world. I do know that there is evil in our world.
I do know that Christ is our redemption. I know that if/when these babies grow up, they will be responsible for choosing to accept Christ as their savior. I do know that they will have the chance to be redeemed.
Nothing theological, just my thoughts during a dreary Tuesday morning drive to work after watching the morning news.
No comments:
Post a Comment